Monday, September 13, 2010

"Educate the Slaves !!!" "The Who?"

The educating of slaves was very few to none. I found this out in my readings of The State of African Americans in the South "In 1915, South Carolina spent one-twelfth as much on the education of a black child as on a white child. In 1916, only 19 black youths were enrolled in public high schools in North Carolina and 310 were enrolled in Georgia." In 1900, the plight of African Americans in the South was bleak!
Well by the time I was done reading the article on The State of African Americans in the South. I was highly upset; heck I was Pissed !! I read this paragraph && was heated "At the beginning of the 20th century, some 44.5 percent of all African American adults were illiterate ..." Are kidding me ?? Well once again I notice it goes back to the superior and inferior thing which
is just absurdity in my opinion. But sadly 'til this day people think in such a way and it is just nonsense!
"Increasingly, African Americans in the South were subject to a degrading system of social segregation and deprived of the right to vote and other prerogatives of citizenship. This system of racial discrimination based on law and custom was called "Jim Crow," after a mid-19th century black-faced minstrel act. Beginning with Mississippi in 1890, every Southern state, except Kentucky and Tennessee, had disenfranchised the vast majority of its African American population by 1907 through the use of literacy tests and poll taxes." In this statement it pretty much answers your question in a lump sum.How were former slaves educated and what roadblocks did they encounter? They weren't educated & the list of roadblocks was everlasting from a degrading system of social segregation and deprived of the right to vote and other prerogatives of citizenship, to the absurd literacy tests and poll taxes; they surely didnt have any freedom which goes back to my readings of The Politics of Reconstruction One black army veteran asked rhetorically: "If you call this Freedom, what did you call Slavery?"
P.S. I'll leave it at that note. Now think !! Where they even educated in the first place?

No comments:

Post a Comment