Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The "I Am" Poem

I am the Lunch Counter Sit-In.
I wonder if I’ll survive to see the end.
I hear hatred all around me. “Get out of here nigger!”
I see no change, in this game of segregation.
I want equality but that’s just something I won’t get in the end.
I am the Lunch Counter Sit-In.

I pretend that I will see equality …
I feel the hostility …
I need “love and good will at all time” like MLK said.
I worry that this will never be brought to an end.
I cry internally to display no sign of weakness, because in the end I will WIN!
I am the Lunch Counter Sit-In.

I understand the misconception of these people …
I believe unity is soon to come …
I dream of peace between all Humanities.
I try not to awake from such a realistic thing.
I hope for this dream to come true, in the end because …
I am the Lunch Counter Sit-In; fighting for all my rights in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment